I am the wearer of many hats. I have a degree in graphic design, and have been running Sutherland Studios since December 1997. I started out with just two hats — graphic design and web design — but over the years I’ve added puzzle writer, author, editor and book indexer to my hat stand. My current focus is on indexing and graphic design.
Over the years I have had a regular ABC radio segment about cryptic crosswords, invented a new puzzle, been a publications editor, written the words for websites, designed logos, brochures and websites, indexed books, self-published seven books, written cryptic crosswords, been a website manager and developer for a science history group, written four books in the For Dummies series, and even worked as a lab assistant in plant genetics (I also studied science at the ANU), back in my dim distant past.
But first, here’s something more interesting:
20 things about me
- Murder mysteries are the main fiction I read, and TV I watch.
- I collect Maigret and Nero Wolfe novels.
- I love dogs, and have two chihuahuas.
- I hate the smell of lavender. Ugh. Stink weed.
- I spent a lot of my first three decades living at Mt Stromlo Observatory.
- I mostly wear black, grey, and red.
- I’m mum to two young adults, and one husband 😉
- My husband is an astrophysicist.
- I used to play the violin and be in an orchestra.
- I have hip dysplasia, and got an artificial hip when I was 46.
- I’m not allowed to run or jump (see above). Woo!
- I’ve lived in three places in the States: New Haven CT, Tucson AZ, and Boulder CO.
- I’m not a big fan of movies.
- I once wrote a whole Dummies book in 14 days. Never again!
- My musical taste is very eclectic : from Vivaldi and Schubert, to Glass and Zimmer, to Nine Inch Nails, Muse, Radiohead and Parov Stelar.
- I design my own knitting patterns.
- I don’t mind public speaking, or even radio.
- I am rubbish at word games with time limits, I can only think of 3 letter words like CAT and MAT. Seriously.
- I’ve moved 28 times in my whole life. The longest I’ve lived in one house is 6 years and 4 months.
- I have 4 mm (6 gauge) ear piercings, so I can wear my son’s glass jewellery.